Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A Poem about "the still small voice"



Sheer Silence
(a poem based on I Kings 19)

You come to me hiding in
your cave
What message do you expect-
A shaking of the earth
A fire that consumes
A wind that blows
away all fears?

O Elijah, you expect too much
and too little
You must learn to wait
on me
in a time of
un-expectation

And now you wonder about
this silence
And you think it is nothing
compared to
wind, flame, and thunder
But listen, O seeker
of truth

I am found in the silence
This stillness that
seems to be nothing
is full of the
something of my
presence

You must learn to wait
at the edge of
your cave of knowing
I will speak not in words
but in moments
of a faith that
trusts in  the
whisper of a
truth that is
below and beyond sound

It is the sound of silence
(Jody Seymour-Lent 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment