Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recovering from the Resurrection

Well if Jesus had to "recover" from the resurrection I suppose it is okay for those of us who proclaim the old story to make it new every year to do the same. This year there were four funerals leading up to Easter, the last of which was for dear eight-year old Caroline. I needed Easter.

But of course since I am one of those clergy-types I am partly responsible for "helping Easter happen" for the crowds that come that day. People come out of the woodwork for Easter. We again had overflow spaces filled. Lots of people "need" Easter.

There's a bit of pressure I feel to make sure it "happens" for all those who show up. Sounds kind of silly does it not? Me, thinking I have to make Easter happen...Like that Native American tribe that believes if they do not do the morning prayer to the sun that the sun will not come up.

Jesus seems to "come up" with or without me...thank heavens. Easter is something very deep it seems. Resurrection is part of the DNA of life. We long for it, we need it, and it is there. Jesus is once again set free to battle the principalities and powers that he tangled with long ago. We are to join him in that battle.

When the lilies are limp and the Easter baskets are empty the work of Easter is still needed. So for right now I think I'll "recover"....take a deep breath and go back to "work" on what Easter is really all about...a resurrection power that invites us to join in the healing of the world.

Blessed Easter
jody

No comments:

Post a Comment