Friday, April 16, 2010

Would Jesus Have a Tea Party?

America is a great place. We seem to be able to have a "party" at the drop of a hat. There are Supper Bowl parties, St. Patrick Day parties, parties for benchmarks such as anniversaries; and now we are having "tea parties."

I've tried to listen to the reasons for the tea parties. A lot of people get together, make signs, and make a lot of noise. This time the noise is not about celebrations but about "rights." As I listen to the voices it seems that a good number of the party goers seem to think that their rights are either being taken away or infringed upon. One voice screamed that "I don't want to pay for someone else's insurance." Another voice said, "I don't want anyone messing with my life and especially my guns."

Well talk about guns and taxes and you have an argument for sure. I just got through listening to the tax lady tell me how much I paid in taxes. It was a lot, I think. I could sure use the money for some things on my list rather than someone else's list. I don't own any guns. Well, that's a small lie. I do own two BB pistols that I in the past used to ward off those dog-gone squirrels from eating all the birdseed...that is until I...well...accidentally killed one of the rascals with a lucky shot. It was a sad scene that reminded me of something like original sin. I killed not for food or protection but for rage...anyway that's another story for another time...and besides the guns are now in a drawer.

I wonder though if Jesus would have or go to a tea party? Would he be upset to pay for someones health insurance if they could not pay for it. Would he stand at the door and protest and respectfully tell someone that they could not have any of his guns? What would he have to say about his "rights?" I do not remember him ever using the phrase "big brother," but I do remember he often talked about his "father." Who did he consider his "brothers and sisters" to be if he claimed that we could all have one father?

Rights are important. I want to live in a world, however, where people value community more than individual rights. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere in the past? The old stuff talks about the rights that this Father of Jesus "required" was to "care for the orphan and widow...and to make sure that the stranger had a place to stay and the poor had shoes." I do not remember much being said about rights.

Last time I checked I'm as bloody a capitalist as it gets. I like my things. I do not much like anyone threatening to take my stuff away. I believe people appreciate life more if they work for what they get. All of this is fairly important to me, but you know....it's not all about me. This Jesus I kept bumping up against often challenges me. His words about thinking of others first and the risk of giving without expecting returns is...well...not my nature.

Anyway....this is a blog and I was just wondering if Jesus would go to a tea party.

blessings
jody

4 comments:

  1. Jody - look for an email with some more detailed thoughts, but I think you are missing the point of the Tea Party - it isn't about rights, it is about responsibilities versus the other "parties" who are redefining "right" from a God defined and granted entity to a person or government defined and granted entity. I will go into more detail, but figured I should have some public post as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea Partying aside, I like to think of aiming for a balance between group needs and individual needs with each person being given value and worth.

    Cheryl Greenwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody,
    I know you have set this aside to let it cool, but I will say that I am in shock and awe that you would fight for the least of these despite knowing how hard the changes can be for the rest of them. May you continue to be bold in your truth! Challenging the culture we live in so that the kingdom might come here on earth as it is in heaven.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-said, Jody! Amen.

    ReplyDelete