Monday, July 26, 2010

Intolerant of Intolerance

Yea I'm getting intolerant of intolerance. I got another one of those "anti-Islam" e mails today full of incorrect assertions and seething with intolerance. The Internet is fine sometimes but when it is used to spread fear and ignorance in the name of free access or "free speech" somebody needs to say "stop."

I liked the article in the paper today that tells of an "inter-faith" camp where kids come together and share their lives and their faith perspectives. There were Baptists, Methodists, Muslims, Hindus, and a Unitarian or two. They did not "back off" their beliefs or water them down, they simply spent time together, shared worship together, and listened to each other.

The Jesus I believe in would have liked that gathering of young people. Where did we Christians get the idea that to claim our faith as unique and wonderful means that we condemn those who seek God on a different path? I know, I know there are a few passages of scripture that if interpreted as some chose to see them seem to exclude anyone who does not see Jesus "our" way.

Well, like dear old Mary Chapin Carpenter sings, "I'll take my chances" by saying that the intolerance of such positions is not Christian. I like the way Eugene Peterson translates Jesus' message in his version of the bible known as "The Message"...He has Jesus say in Matthew 7, "Knowing the correct password, saying Master, Master for instance isn't going to get you anywhere with me...doing my Father's will is what is important...(to me) you missed the boat...all you did was make yourself important. You don't impress me one bit."

We need to learn to listen, live together, appreciate each other's faith, and let Jesus do the sorting out. That wheat and weeds parable he told is a good analogy of how we need to learn that we are not good "sorters" when it comes to judging what is "wheat" and what is "weed."

I have some dear folk who are leaving our church now because they want more certainty and do not like the questions that are raised when one is open to a God who is really big. I understand their need for a black and white world where a certain view of faith is fixed and prescribed. They also want a Bible where there are no questions or different interpretations. I wish them well but I could not go where they wanted to go much less lead them as a pastor to that place of certainty.

The spirit and love "of" Christ is bigger than the religion "about" Christ. What do we really think that the power that overcame death one morning wants us to do in a world where so many people differ in their views of faith and God? Are we to build walls or bridges?

We can still hold to the uniqueness of our faith without condemning those who walk a different path. We can especially listen to the "truths" about other faiths without spreading false realities based upon a lack of understanding. Most of what comes out of the mouths of "radical Islamists" is a complete misconstruing of that faith just as some of what I hear coming out of the mouths of certain "Christians" is nothing I want a part of. (See, I'm intolerant of intolerance...told you.)

In Isaiah God makes an offer that we need to take up: "Come let us reason together." Religion that is based on fear is usually unhealthy religion. God is at work in all sorts of places in this world. Those of us who claim the title, "Christian" must be careful not to think of it as an exclusive "password" that get us in while we claim that other are left out.

The one who gave us this marvelous faith cautions us not to make our spiritual journey a seeking after a password but a following of a "way." That "way" is a way of love, compassion, attentiveness to others...especially those with whom we disagree, and a joining with God in the healing of the nations.

Blessings
jody

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Jody. While I am grateful to be a Christian, I know that my way is not the ONLY way. I have some dear Jewish friends who are active in their faith, and I know that God does not call on me to condemn them... As a Christian, I wholeheartedly accept Jesus Christ as my saviour, but I do not expect my friends of other religions to do the same. My hope is that all of God's people can get comfort through their faith in and relationship with Him. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." There are not "many roads" to salvation. There is but one. Either what Jesus did on the cross is the once-and-for-all sacrifice for our sins (Hebrews), or it has no power at all. People can be sincere in their beliefs, and be sincerely wrong. If we love people as Jesus loves them, we will tell them THE (not "a") truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that "amen!" I used to ignore and delete the e-mails simply based on subject line. I finally took the time to open one, astonished at what my Christian friends were circulating. It was a message of defamation, hatred, and out-right lies. Spreading this hate and misunderstanding adds nothing to the dialog. It only hurts our mission and outreach efforts. How can we begin to share our love of Christ through hateful eyes? I started responding to these e-mails as lovingly as possible, providing reliable references and requesting to be excluded from such banter. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who didn't think Jesus would approve if He had an inbox.

    ReplyDelete