Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Christmas Poem: Jospeh Make Me a Cradle



Joseph Make Me a Cradle

Joseph make me a cradle-
one of wood and
the other of your
arms
Our child will need holding
but so will I
The angel’s voice seems
distant now
faded by the hushed
words of neighbors
who judge me with
their eyes

But you whisper to me that
there is no time
for your craft
but that we must go
Your smile promises me
that your rough
hands will hold me
through the night

His words seem so barren
telling us of “no room”
for he knows not
who he turns
away
The cradle you could not
fashion you now
make with what is-
a manger

So cradle me Joseph with
the daring love that
listens to dreams
and obeys
The manger will hold
our child and
you can hold
me
and him
in arms that this
night seem
like God’s

Jody Seymour
Advent 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment