Thursday, December 21, 2017

A Distant Knock: Ann Inkeeper Remembers



A Distant Knock
(An Innkeeper Remembers)

Sleep was a friend that
night so full
Tired of disappointment
I no longer responded
to knocks
at my door

No fault of mine was
the forced assembly
My trade was to house
people not excuses
so my words
were clear-
“No room”

My retreat was the night
so in a dream I
heard a distant knock
Wanting not to awake
but I did
to find them

“With Child”…his words
 waking my slumbering soul
What kind of man would
take this risky journey
into the unknown?

Wishing I had stayed dreaming
I led them to my stable
saying not what
was in my heart and mind-
“What kind of world
this must be”

Then in her pain she put
her hand upon my face
and whispered haunting words-
“Bless you dear one-
You make space for
God’s child
this night”

Her kindness contained no judgment
and her words wrapped
me like some blanket
Not ever have I felt
such an accepting
presence

I walked back to my
place of dreaming
wondering about that
distant knock
and what kind
of God
would do this

Jody Seymour –Christmas 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment