Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Poem for Father's Day


With Father’s Day coming up I wrote a poem based on a special memory I have of arriving late one foggy night at the train station in Salisbury NC.  I was eight years old and my father had moved up to North Carolina six months ahead of Mom and I coming from our home in Mississippi.  He came to take a new job and to “prepare a place for us.”  When we arrived I stood at the steps of the train looking into the fog only to see the shadowy figure of a person standing beneath a lamp post.  The poem tells the story of what happened next.

Waiting Arms
(a poem for Father’s Day)

I looked into the fog
of unknowing
My mother’s hand holding
mine to keep
my heart from
leading me

In the dark there was
but one light
radiant but limited
in its vision
of the figure
below

Was it him, the one who
went before us
to prepare a place
But then it could be
some stranger
filled with harm
not care

Breaking away from her
grasp of me
I ran toward the
light
filled with both
fear and hope

Pleas came from my frightened
mother bidding me
to stop my
foolish journey
And I did
and an empty pause
left me alone

Then I looked toward
the shadowy light
And a distant figure
spread his arms
awaiting a child
of the night

I ran toward those
open arms
to be held with love
no longer distant
Waiting arms told
me this
was no stranger
I was in the embrace
of my father

Jody Seymour
2018

No comments:

Post a Comment