Sunday, May 13, 2018

Tender Love: A poem for Mother's Day


Tender Love
(A poem in memory of my mother and in honor of all mothers)

That day you held me
wet with my tears
I begged you to not take
me to some stranger
So with needle and thread
you stitched my
bleeding knee

Now the scar so beautiful
and old reminds me
of tender love
so often given

You sang of bluebirds
flying through gardens
And tiny spiders that
climbed spouts
only to be washed away
by words and rain

You struggled with a body
that would not aide
your spirit that longed
to love and give
But the limitations of flesh
could not hold back
that tender love

One evening after yet another
feast from your table
you sat in that chair where
so many songs were sung
And while reading some book
that would never
be finished
You slipped away to another world
where bluebirds and spiders
play forever

You are missed dear mother
But O you are not
forgotten
For your tender love
resides in me
and those
I love

Jody Seymour
Mother’s Day 20`8

No comments:

Post a Comment