Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Different Jesus
I have this image of Jesus walking around looking at the different "forms" of religion we have created with his name attached to them. We who claim to follow this simple Galilean do everything from chanting to handling snakes. We shout alleluia and others of us remain quiet for days...waiting. Jesus followers wave flags and shout "God bless America," and others who follow the Prince of Peace carry signs protesting what America does.
Will the "real" Jesus please stand up? Or is it best said, "Will the real Christianity please stand up? What is real faith? Is it like those packages that read, "Contains real cheese." O my, what exactly is fake cheese. I think I've tasted the fake stuff and some of it is actually pretty good. Those ingredients or additives or whatever it is that tastes like cheese can fool not only my eyes but my taste buds.
Is that the way it is with some forms of the Jesus' faith? It looks pretty on the outside. It is palatable. It is cheaper. But, it's not "real."
If Jesus walked around doing a survey of the many forms of Christianity today what would be the results of his study? What would be on his check-list? I'll take a guess knowing that when he gets to me on the survey I'm up for being held to the "real" test too.
On this list might be "How much are you risking for me?" "When was the last time you forgave somebody." "How long is your enemies list?" "Who is welcomed when you worship in my name?" "When you serve 'my supper' who comes to eat?" "Do you know what I meant when I said, 'When you love the least of these, you love me?'" "When you worship me what are you worshiping...the music..the minister...the building...the denomination/the church...or me?" "How has following me changed the way you love?" (Okay blog reader...if you are out there..what do you think would be on Jesus' list?)
My friend Ed Kilbourne sings a song entitled, "A Different Jesus." The one singing the song encounters an "in your face" Jesus person, a TV preacher, and some folks using Jesus' name to sell books (oops that could be me of late), promoting records (not a chance/I can't sing but most of you know that by now) and of course politicians. Finally the person trying to figure out who this Jesus is they keep talking about responds in the chorus. The chorus simply says:
I think it must have been a different Jesus, the one I meet when I was just a child
I thought I recognized the name but the one I know could not have changed that much
You'll find he's always been the same old Jesus
He hasn't changed in spite of what we've heard
Still a friend of sinners everywhere, I never met a man who cared so much

O one whose name we use so often, help us know the "real" you. For you are deeper and bigger than any of the shapes we give to you. Your love is broader than our narrow denominations and your seeking grace is more expansive than our many styles of worshiping you. May your penetrating love make us "real" in our loving.
jody

1 comment:

  1. Quote I read from a Buddist being introduced to Christianity "I like your Jesus but I don't care for your Christians. Your Christians are so different from your Jesus".

    ReplyDelete