Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Never Thought I Would Do It!

Well, Rosmary Banks, our dear Communications Director just left my office with the news that I am now a "Blogger." I don't feel any different. Maybe it will take a while. Will I wake up at 3:00 am and have a rash or something. I mean no one yet knows the long terms effects of Blogging. Heck, I do not even know the short term effects. What am I saying (see it's already doing something to me) I barely know what a Blog is...but here goes.

Yes, I'm going to Blog. I've gone over to the Dark Side or something. Mr Poet-not too keen on technology-Fear of Being Lost While Making Excellent Time-Jody, figures that I need to share more of "me" with "you." And give you a chance to share more of "you" with "me." So, I've been convinced by those who know the "new world" better than me that one way to do this is to have a Blog.

What I will do, I think, is try to share at least a kind of thought or pondering of the day most days. I'm not promising I'll post a blog every day since you and me need a day off or days off but for now I'll try to post something from inside of me to the outside world. I welcome, I think, your comments.

In the new world of Face Book, Blogging, Twitter (I've been told that's next) if one wants to share thoughts that hopefully will be helpful then..well...one has to "get with the program." So here goes the blog.

First of all you probably do not know that I'm shy. What, the guy up in front of 1200 or so people most every Sunday is shy? The guy who suddenly broke into a chorus of "Blue Moon" a couple of Sunday's ago when given a hand-held mic when his wireless failed is shy? (By the way I sitll do not know what got into me that day at the 11:00 service when I started singing Blue Moon and kept going...I mean I was in the middle of a sermon for heaven's sake...God probably is thinking just now, "Leave heaven out of this." But I did it probably upon retrospect because my 6th grade teacher put on my report card that, "Jody will never amount to anything unless he quits showing off.") Back to "shy"....I was shy in the 6th grade and that is "why" I was the class clown. It was my way of surviving.

So, yes I'm shy. Even though my wife does not like me to say it, I'm a rather extreme introvert who is a public figure. Last time I checked there are over 3,500 in this congregation. So I do not have time to be shy, but at least I thought you ought to know who is behind the robe.

I do pretty good with the introvert/shy thing because I know I am to be a pastor. Pator's can't be too shy if they want to be "with the sheep." So most of the time God helps me overcome my shyness. My love for sharing the "old story" also helps me step over my shy nature. When I see you listen and engage what I offer it makes my heart sing. I do my best working with people one on one. That should not suprise you now that you know my "secret." Wow this blog thing is working on me. I better stop before I "tell all."

Anyway. Here is my thought for today. Life is complicated and maybe getting more complicated with all the technology and the recent economic challenges. The God I believe in is bigger than our immediate situation. This may be a big deal to us but God has seen a lot and in God's "mind" this is but a blip on the screen....but..."we" are never a blip on the screen. God really knows our names. I'm not just making that up because it sounds good and comforting. I believe it. Here is a spontaneous poem...my first blog poem:
O One who knows me beyond knowing
grant me the assurance that
in moments when certainty is fleeting
you are the source
you are underneath the questions
you are the answers that will be
You are the One who smiled at my birth
and you weep when pain surrounds

The word "God" is too small for you...
But it will do for now

Whatever is going on with you right now God knows it and cares about it. Nothing is going to happen that God cannot handle. Faith is more about trust than it is about "believing" or assent. That' enough of a blog for now...maybe its too much...more later. I need to go put some cream on my rash.
jody

No comments:

Post a Comment