Monday, September 14, 2009

Mad as Hell

"Mad as Hell," is an interesting expression is it not? I preached about anger yesterday and told the amusing story of my father whose memory is not as good as it used to be who said to me when I told him last week what I was preaching about, "Didn't you preach about anger a few months ago?" I was surprised he remembered but I smiled and said, "Yes I did Dad but you know I've got a lot of angry people over there and I preached a while back about forgiveness too but I reckon I'll have to do that one again also."

We are angry people. Joe Wilson's recent outburst in the "well" of the Congress, Serena Williams threatening words to the lineswoman at the U.S Open Tennis match, and the volatile words screamed out at Town Hall meetings show that our "anger thermostat" is set rather high. So if you want the whole "shooting match"..the whole set of cards...the entire enchilada: you can pull up my sermon tomorrow on our church web site(9/13/09)...but here are a few highlights if you want the Reader's Digest version on Anger:

Anger is a natural emotional response to a real or perceived threat. It is natural to be angry and probably unavoidable. What is avoidable is our response to anger. Those responses are learned and can be challenged by our self-reflection...if we choose to be self-reflective. Anger is a secondary emotion and is usually "attached" to feelings of frustration at not getting what we want or need. The anger begins "in us."

The movement of anger goes like this: irritation then anger then rage. The secret is to catch this "movement" at the irritation stage. The four features of anger are blame, hurt, seeing the "other" as unattractive, and becoming judge and jury. These features resemble child-like actions because they are "learned" in childhood.

It is okay to be angry and some anger is very justified. In our society we need those old words that say, "Be angry but do not sin." Sin usually involves hurt. Research shows that anger management begins with taking some deep breaths before we "act" and remembering what it is we are "not getting." To hurt someone "back" of course just escalates the anger cycle. Anger experts tell us to try to "re-frame" what is happening. If we are disappointed in someone is the truth that we have unrealistic expectations of that person?

Since the anger thermostat in our culture seems to be set so high these days it is time to examine why we are "so" angry and why so many people are expressing anger in "high volume" ways. It all begins with "us." It always does.
Namaste (the divine in me greets the divine in you)
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment