Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why ARE There So Many Songs About Rainbows?

Well all I can say is she took my breath away...again. The wedding was over, the sacred words were said...she was surprised when "Grow Old Along With Me" was sung...and she and her new man turned to walk down an isle toward the rest of their lives...

And then...she and her man walked through the door for the party. He danced with her to the words, "You swept me away." I watched. It was nice...and then...

It was my time to dance that father/daughter dance. I wondered what song she would pick. Then the banjo started strumming...and there was dear Kermit singing, "Why Are There So Many Songs About Rainbows." I'm tingling right now as I write this. I used to sing it to her when she was a "girl." She knew that..and she remembered.

She looked up into my moist eyes and she said, "I had all kinds of trouble finding this song. I had to have Kermit sing it, not somebody else. I had to buy the whole CD just to get it..but I wanted it to be our song."

I held her and made my own rainbow with sunshine and the water of memories. That girl could make me cry in many ways but this was special.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows? It is because we need those illusions and visions. We need them to be painted over our sour headlines. We need them to touch the "lovers and dreamers " in all of us. We need them because life is sometime just to "real."

O my goodness what a moment it was. In the colors of that moment there were years of memories. As I swayed to that simple, child-like melody I was somewhere over the rainbow. There are not many moments like that one. There's not supposed to be.

I looked into those eyes as the music ended and I realized how much she really is "my child." O I know, she's somebody else's now...but you know how that goes. There will always be rainbows.
Bless you,
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

2 comments:

  1. As long as I can remember thinking about dancing with Dad to a song at my wedding this was always the song I wanted. Dad reminds me of Kermit. Kind and gentle and sometimes sings "It ain't easy being green," when he's so overwhelmed at church with all the worries of the other muppets. Dad, no matter where I am or how long I'm married, I will always be your little girl, and you will always be my rainbow. I love you Daddy.-Abigail P.S. Kiss Mom for me, because as we both know...without Mom none of this could be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me realize how much I missed at my wedding, not having my dad there for me. I wonder what song I would have picked to dance with my 1st "Prince Charming".

    ReplyDelete