Saturday, December 3, 2016

Christmas Identity Crisis



Christmas Identity Crisis

            Every Christmas for these past forty-five years I found myself with a Christmas identity crisis of sorts.  So this year after retiring this past June from being a United Methodist pastor I again will face an identity issue.
            The identity crisis I allude to is the tradition I established long ago of taking on the identity of someone in the original Christmas story and presenting the drama as a monologue.  I realized early on as a young pastor that there is not much improvement you need do to when it comes to the Christmas story.  It tells itself.
            So I got in touch with my imagination, which is not much of a challenge with me, and I would dream up characters and on the Sunday before Christmas I would take on a new identity and tell the story from that point of view.  Of course after a few years the usual cast of characters were “used up” so I had to start creating new ones.
            After becoming Joseph, the Innkeeper, a shepherd, a Wiseman, and even Herod I took a chance and “tried on” Gabriel.  After many years of doing this I did redo some of these characters but never Gabriel again.  I told my wife, who was always wanting to outfit me for the part, that I did not want to do the angel with wings thing but wanted it to be more subtle and “ethereal.”  I ended up looking like a cross between Richard Simons and some male type nymph.  Gabriel went into the closest, literally, never to return again.
            So I went deeper into my mind rather than my wardrobe and started creating characters that were in the background of the story such as a man who was lost in Bethlehem the night of the birth and found himself in a crowded inn.  Then there was the census taker telling of what he discovered really counts.  I even created a potter who ended up giving Mary a chalice that he created just for her.
            Now I face my first Christmas in many years without a “job.”  Who will I be this Christmas?  This is a different kind of identity crisis for sure.  Wayne Dwyer once wrote, “If you are what you do, when you don’t you aren’t.”  Pastors often become what we do. 
            I used to tell young pastors in a seminar for brand new ministers that if they had signed on to be a minister as a “job” that they were in the wrong work because it is a “life.”  After warning them about that I would say it was up to them to carve out time for their families and time to take care of their own souls.  We pastors can get awfully thirsty while giving other people water.
            But now I face a Christmas without the “job” of coming up with an identity in order to tell a story.  So as Jean Valjean sang in Les Miserables, “Who am I?”
            Who am I apart from what I did for those forty-five years?  I am discovering that daily.  I am still Betsy’s husband and have more time for that.  I am to be a grandfather for the first time in December.  That will be a new identity and one that many tell me will be really great.
            I am still a Christian and will need to see and feel what that looks like when it is not part of my job.  I am a person who now sits in the pew.  I always thought that would be hard for I would have to turn off my inner critic that rates worship and sermons.  Thus far I have done pretty good at that and have actually worshiped a few times.
            So I am discovering me this Christmas apart from that wonderful identity crisis I used to have.  This year I will try to listen to the story instead of tell it.  It will help to have a Christmas baby to go along with the Christmas baby.  Who am I?  I will remember what I used to say when my identity was a working pastor; “You are a child of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment