Thursday, December 20, 2018

A Christmas Poem: Holding the Love of God


Holding the Love of God
(Mary holding her child for the first time)

So short it seems when
a whisper from beyond
told me of
your coming

Now I hold you in my arms
for your only
cradle is one
meant for animals

Such a beginning should
not surprise me
but it does
for words cannot
hold all of this

My pain to give you birth
is a sweet joy
for I hold you now
 but for a time
and now time
will hold you
for all time

O child of promise
what can I give
you more than
I already have?

I offered my innocence
in trust to a God
whose surprises
seem endless
but now I hold you
in my arms
and in my heart

Your deep dark eyes hold
starlight that seems
to peer into
my soul
But then you are from
a place beyond my imagining
I am your mother, dear one,
and as you grow
into your life
you will discover
who your father
is

For now,
feel the love I
have for you,
O child of
the manger,
At least tonight
you are mine

I will share you later
for I must…
For now I hold you
for me
Listen, O God,
at least for this
precious moment
your world
must wait

No comments:

Post a Comment