Monday, August 3, 2009

Apporval Ratings

Well surprise, surprise Obama's approval ratings have gone down. Do you know the worse thing you can do for a gasoline engine? That's right, put gasoline in it and run it. As soon as you do something the engine starts to deteriorate.

It was the same with George Bush. The man could sneeze funny and his approval ratings would drop. Now we have a President who is tackling some very hard issues and wow his approval rating drops. The best way to avoid criticism is do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

I can appreciate this situation. I deal with approval ratings. I smile when I get comments about how "good I am" or something like that but then there are those who simply leave because they did not like what I said or what I did.

Living by approval ratings is a dangerous thing. I try to avoid that trap. O, if you know me, I love being loved but it can be quick-sand...the approval thing. I've learned that if you deal with the radical message of Jesus sometimes approval is not the thing to be thinking of much. Jesus' approval ratings dropped quickly when he started tackling tough issues. Folks wanted easy answers that did not involve sacrifice.

O well...all I'm saying is that I'm tired of hearing so much about approval ratings. I'm not sure whose approval we are really talking about and even if you know that is not the right window through which to be looking at life...

So much for now

jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

1 comment:

  1. how true! thank you. William Willimon once talked about how he didn't know how to respond to people who complimented him on one of his sermons.

    ReplyDelete