Saturday, August 8, 2009

Have You Missed Me?

Well did ya? I took a few days off. Well, the truth is that I could not get my laptop to work at the Starbucks where I hang out sometimes when I am out of town.

I am in a long list of people who must have a love/hate relationship with technology. I find myself conflicted. I love the access of things like remote e mail and cell phones but then too much access and accessibility can be a dangerous even addictive kind of thing.

I wrote a book about this. Of course you have your copy don't you? What, you don't. "Lost but Making Excellent Time: Transforming the Rat Race into a Pilgrimage" was written out of my own experience. All the fast stuff we have that gives us such instant access can be a tool or a master.

All I know is that I find myself using all the new stuff and liking a lot of it. But I also believe that at the core of the human spirit is the need to "be still and know." It is hard to be still if we are always busy "responding" or thinking of the next thing we are going to communicate...like I'm doing now. Hey, I'm chief among sinners. Confession is good for the soul...but there must be some soul left to tend.

How does one care for the soul? I have discovered that it takes a special kind of tending, this soul of ours. It needs some quiet. It needs some "nothing." One cannot see the face reflected upon the waters if the waters are not still.

I enjoyed some still waters for a few days. Now it's back to "work." But what is so interesting is that part of my work is to remind people like me to "be still" so that the work of healing the world can be done....interesting...
Bless you
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment