Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Shuffle

Our oldest daughter just gave me an I Pod Shuffle. It's my first venture into the world of I Pod.

This gizmo is the size of a postage stamp and contains 275 songs that she has loaded onto it. What?

She has not given me the attachment that fits into the computer so that I can download some more songs because she knows I have no idea what she means.
Now let's all just take a deep breath and at least acknowledge that if someone had come up to you 10 years ago and given you a little silver clip and whispered in your ear, "Hey, stick some earphones in this thing and you can listen to 275 different songs," that you would have smiled and said "thanks" and walked away thinking, "right."

But, hey I ran this morning with my postage stamp clipped to my shirt and listened to Buffet sing,
"I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man floating down Canal
It doesn't have numbers or moving hands, it always just says 'now.'
Now if you were thinking that I was had, well my watch is never wrong.
And if I have trouble the warranty says, 'breathe in, breathe out, move on.'
....the time on my watch is always 'now'
The past is dead and gone, don't try to shake, just bow your head
Breathe in breathe out, move on."

I used the words of that song in my last book. So...I'll not try to shake my I Pod Shuffle that has no moving parts, no little discs in it, no titles, no instructions...As I run and listen I'll just "breathe in, breathe out" and move on.

What a world...
Bless you
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

2 comments:

  1. To better understand the importance and value of NOW . I suggest the book The Power of Now - a guide to spiritual enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle. Excellent!!

    Eric Overcash

    ReplyDelete
  2. how true; breathe in and breathe out. You and Jimmy need to get together! Good wisdom for every day.

    ReplyDelete