Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jesus Didn't Have a Phone Booth

When I was a child I suppose I thought of Jesus as a kind of Superman figure. Most of the time he was this really neat guy who seemed to like children, hang around women that he was not supposed to hang around, pick strange people to be his disciples, and tell really good stories about sheep, flowers, and lost people. Then when he need to, he would "change" and become a divine "superman."

Paul wrote, "When I was a child I spoke as a child...(and so on) but when I grew up I gave up childish things." So, did Jesus have a phone booth in which to "change" into Superman? Well, I've decided he did not need one. (O come on, I know they did not have phone booths back then...but hey check it out we don't have them now either cause with all those little devices hanging from our ears..we don't need them...Superman would have a hard time finding a changing room these days...back to my point...if there is one)

Jesus, according to something called "Process Theology," was divine because he was fully human. Our problem is that we keep from being fully human. Jesus was able to access all of the powers of being fully present, fully alive, and fully daring. He wasn't afraid to step into the storm, see what he could do with water when the wine ran out, reach into the blind darkness of another human being's need, and even step into the cavern of death to laugh at that old rascal.

Martin Luther once said, "You are a little Christ to your neighbor." We think that is just a nice saying because we know we sure are not "Christ-like" most of the time. Here's the deal...We can be more Christ-like that any of us imagine. Some say we only use a small portion of the intellect or brain that we have. The same is probably true of our human potential that is "God given."

I use the "I'm sure not Jesus" excuse as just that...an excuse for not trying, risking, and living a fully human life that stands up to principalities and powers....you know....like Jesus did...

Bless you,
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment