Saturday, August 1, 2009

Is There Any Air Space Left?

I figure at any given time three fourths of the world is either talking on a cell phone, texting, on Facebook, or Blogging...like I am now...With all this wireless stuff going on I'm amazed we can still breathe. What are all those "waves" filling all that space doing to us?

Maybe it is one of the reasons we are so anxious. I mean I felt a little unsettled until I started filling this space. After all I had gone over 24 hours without Blogging. I'm hooked...sort of. Trust me though, yes, I have a Facebook page but I'm not sure what to do with it. Someone told me I just had to "play with it." I tried a while ago and now I think I erased something that I did not mean to erase. I already need a face-lift or something.

I just finished the book, "Three Cups of Tea." Read it. We need to do more of what this guy is doing if we want to really "combat terrorism." He is "fighting" terror with books rather than bombs. Greg, the "hero" of the book is trusted by Muslims because he is the kind of "Christian" that loves God and people more than religion. God is bigger than our small views of religion.

I'm tired of hearing all the misinformation about Islam. Radical Islam is based on ignorance of their own faith rather than faith. We need more people like Greg. We need more Christians like him too.

Tomorrow in church I'm offering a "Come to Jesus Meeting." I just preached the sermon in my head...sounds interesting huh...and I sound like me when I was 18. I was sort of a Billy Graham Jr kind of guy talking about "finding Jesus" all the time.

These days you might call me a "progressive Christian" with a lot of "out there" thoughts. By the way I do not share most of them on Sunday morning. That is not my task as a pastor and preacher. What I preach is not about "my thinking" or even my theology. It is about the powerful story of God trying to get through to us.

Anyway...this Sunday I'm offering a chance to "Come to Jesus." If you are not going to be there you can still use the song I'll have sung to help you..well..come to Jesus. This song haunted me for a few months..and then I found a version of it on Youtube...I mean have I gone over to the Dark Side of technology or what!!... This version has all kinds of pictures of Jesus popping up as the song is sung...I must say it "got to me." So we'll do that Sunday...in a Come to Jesus meeting. The song is by sung by Chris Rice and simply called, "Come to Jesus"..google it (there I go again) and pull up the song...then look up the Youtube version that has a picture of Jesus beside it....Click and then be still and watch and listen...

There is a picture of Jesus for everybody...old pictures...mushy-sweet pictures ...classic pictures...all kinds of Jesus-es....There's one for you. Sit quietly and "come to Jesus." Bless you.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment