Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Boxes, Whales, and Appointments

Today I'm pondering the fact that this week marks my sixth year in Davidson. Last week was "moving day" for all United Methodist pastors. Our Presbyterian and Baptist counterparts are familiar with an interim time between churches and pastors. Sometimes this interim can be longer than a year.

The interim for a United Methodist pastor is four hours. Yes, you move out of your parsonage on a Tuesday around 10 and you are supposed to assume your new position at 2:00 that afternoon. It reminds me of those divers who forget to breathe and decompress as they come up from the depths. To not decompress gives the diver "the bends."

Methodist pastors and congregations wave goodbye in the morning and smile and offer welcome in the afternoon. It's quick.

I'm so glad that I did not have to look for boxes this year. After I move it takes me about two weeks to figure that I do not have to stop if I see a good box behind a store. Methodist ministers are known to frequent the ABC store quite a bit around moving time supposedly to get boxes. You can do what you want to with that thought.

I remember in my Hebrew class in seminary the word used for that "whale" to show up so that he could swallow old Jonah was "appoint." God "appointed" a fish to swallow Jonah. Ah ha, it was a Methodist fish for sure because Methodist call their pastoral positions "appointments." We are told where to go and churches are "sent" ministers. It is an appointment system.

Anyway it has been a quick six years. I am honored to be part of the ministry team at this wonderful church. Like Jonah, it's been quite a ride. Sometimes I feel "consumed" but most of the time I feel very appointed. I'm supposed to be here. And it sure feels good not to be looking for boxes...
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

6 comments:

  1. Jody, I guess we have another year to collect boxes for you??? Just kidding; we love you and hope you are always told to go to Davidson UMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you and Betsy were "sent" to us. I hope it takes a LONG time for you to be "boxed up".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have boxes to unpack if you are feeling the itch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're not looking for boxes too! Welcome to the blog world. Gosh, the Church can be so diverse, yet we are all more alike than we are different. May God give you all the grace you need... and more for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what direction should we now take? I'm also pleased that you are our pastor and I'll join you as we get "appointed" to the direction that Jesus has planned for us...shalom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't rub it in Jody...there are some of us in boxes! :) It has been a quick six years, hasn't it? Glad you finally have a blog! Come visit us soon! Much love -

    ReplyDelete