Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Morning Decision

Well its Sunday morning. I'm not as busy today because I'm not preaching. I'll be leading worship but when I'm not preaching I feel kind of lost. It's part of my bone marrow or something. Betsy worries that when I retire I will be really lost. She figures that it won't take long for an add to appear in some local paper, "preacher for hire." I'm not so sure...

I wonder how many people this morning are making a Sunday morning decision about what to do with their morning? When I was a kid there was no decision. We went to church. I sure did not always want to but it wasn't up for "decision."

Sometimes the lady in front of me would wear a really large brim hat. That would be a "good Sunday" because I knew that if I leaned just a certain way the preacher could not see me if I went to sleep. It's harder now for "you folks out there" because most women do not wear hats.

That's one reason I try to make what I do and say on Sunday morning engaging and relevant because I remember what it was like to sit "out there" and be bored. So there are people making decisions this morning. I hope that if you make (or by the time you read this "made") the decision to go to church you will find something engaging and relevent...but...if you do not at least know that I think God appreciates it even more those times you go and you "don't' get anything out of what the preacher said." At least you showed up. That says to God that you "notice" and that you remember that you are not self-made and that you need some help getting by in this crazy wonderful thing called life...and that yea, you messed up some the past week...and you seem to always need guidance to not mess up again...and well, you were "there." God maybe whispers, "I was there when you did not know it last week and I'll be there next week...so thank you for being there."

Whatever your decision may God bless you this Sunday.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment