Saturday, July 4, 2009

Working on a Holiday

Well I'm here at the office and yes it is July 4th. Someone found out I was at the office and responded, "Don't you know it's a holiday?"

I'm working on a funeral service for dear Faith Mark who died yesterday. She's worth working on a holiday. Her service will be Tuesday at 2:00.

The truth is that "time off" in the ministry is a bit tricky. I get some free time that others do not get but then one is never really "off" when it comes to this kind of work. That is not a complaint, it's an observation.

I tell young clergy that if they think they have chosen a job they are in the wrong line of work. The ministry is a "life." Having said that it is up to the minister to find "that time" that is some kind of sabbath time. I do good at that at times and at others I fail.

But trust me. This is joyous work (most of the time) I get to be with people at those vary sacred times when others are not "allowed in." I cherish those times. It is a "calling" and a life. To bring the old story alive and see others engage that story is one of the most wonderful callings in the world.

Time to go now....O...I remember a young Christian Educator we hired at one of my churches who was straight out of school. She did not make it. The church was too big and the job was too overwhelming for a young inexperienced person and we were at fault for hiring her but when she left she tearfully said to me, "And...I don't like working on weekends..." Wrong work dear, wrong work...
See ya,
jody

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Jody. I remember you telling me once that you didn't want to be a "busy pastor." This is my mission in ministry...not to be busy, but to be purposeful and intentional. This can be hard to do in a world that values "busy-ness." So, here's to sabbath and rest which is VERY purposeful and intentional.

    ReplyDelete