Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Routine

I have this routine I use on Sunday morning. First the dog must have a dog biscuit. There are priorities. In order for me to get "my head around the sermon" I start the routine at 5:00 am. Right now the dog is literally under my feet. She likes the dark shelter under our desk. Her constant panting reminds me that the Biblical word for "spirit" is the same word that means breath and wind. I have a constant reminder of the immediacy of the Spirit abiding in the darkness.

I go over the sermon manuscript and make notes and outline what I want to remember. Yes, even though I do not use notes I am not making it up as I stand before my people.

I am not always pleased with what I have written but it's getting late in the game to start changing things now...but sometimes I do.

Sermons are not "talks," they are meant to be "experiences." The idea is to offer words that create an atmosphere for God to do something with those who will listen. So, I offer a prayer: "Ok Jesus, here it is. You've been with me while I've been creating these words. Now take them and use them for you. I do not know what those who will listen need but you do. So now this is yours"

Then I go for an early morning run and I "preach" the sermon while I run. I feel like a St. Francis kind of figure out there with the sun just coming up with only the birds and the squirrels for an "congregation."

So, its that time...time to quite writing this and do my routine. I can hear the panting. I can feel the spirit...Who knows what will happen today? Preaching is like fishing. I've learned my task is to cast the net. The results are up to one who once said, "Follow me and I'll show you how to fish for people." We'll see....
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment