Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Memory Upgrade

My old laptop computer was getting slower and slower. It was also "freezing up" and sending me "error messages." I was told that I needed a memory upgrade. OK, one of my goals was to cross the finishline of retirement without becoming a technological dinosaur. I thought those lines around my eyes were wrinkles only to discover that they must be encroaching fossil formations.

But hey I'm blogging aren't I. I'm swimming upstream against the tide of a new frontier. Anyway stop the image stuff Seymour and get to the point. (Don't you wish you could tell me that some Sunday mornings??)

My point, if I haven't forgotten it, is that don't you wish "you" could add memory so that you would not get "frozen" or receive error messages? I mean people compliment me sometimes about how "you don't use notes when you preach." Well the older I get the harder it gets. I need some added memory. Mine is getting old. I haven't frozen up on a Sunday morning in the middle of a sermon but I've come close. There have been a few times when it was time to move on the the next "point" and the point was illusive. I got an error message so I kept on talking and alas the point came up from somewhere in the recesses of my "hardware" or is that "software?"

My dear stepmother has dementia. She could sure use a memory upgrade. But her smile is still dear and she can be in the present moment with you.

There will be no memory upgrade for us because we are not machines. As wonderful as computers are they are crafted in some factory and are made up of chips and...well..what are they made up of?? No, we are flawed flesh and blood and our memories do fade. But we are not "manufactured" in some unknown technological brain tank. We are crafted by those same hands that threw out the galaxies and called them good.

The old story says that we are "known" always. We are never erased from God's memory. The hairs of our heads are numbered. (I'm doing God a favor on that one for God has less of me each month to remember)

I did another funeral yesterday in which I reminded all gathered that though we cannot know God fully we are always fully known by God. One day we shall see face to face and "know" as we have been known. Don't ever forget that!! Until then may your error messages be few and your freeze ups be subtle.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org
(Thank you Rosemary for "unclogging" the blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment