Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Dog's Blog

I was getting ready to write this and my dog walked by. I looked at her and said, "Well, what do you have planned today?" With those deep black eyes of hers she peered into my questioning stare and said nothing. She did, however, look at me with an expression that said something like, "I'm going to get under the desk now, what's it to you?"

She is after all a "shelter dog." Our daughter made it a habit of giving us shelter dogs that she rescued from the storms of life. I'm not sure what her past is, she did not come with a file. But I will tell you this, she likes shelter. Her two favorite places are under the desk and under the bed.

Things must have been rough in her past. She seeks the safety of dark places. My feet share her sacred space under the desk. She's learned to put up with me. Once in a while I look into the dark and see those eyes looking back at me. Wonder what she thinks?

Maybe she's wondering where my shelter is? When I come in from my day she usually greets me. It is not exactly an enthusiastic greeting like in some Lassie movie. It is more like, "Well, what was Your day like?" Then she walks back to her comforting cave under the desk as if to invite me to come sit a while and share some shelter with her.

O God our help in ages past, our hope for years to come.
Our shelter from the stormy blast and our eternal home.

She's snoring now. So much for the dog blog...
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

2 comments:

  1. It isn't just her...I could totally go under my desk for a few moments right now! There is power in shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gifted writer you are. Good to read your blog postings...

    ReplyDelete