Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Your 100 Things

I read this morning about a doctor who has ALS and who is deciding what "getting close to the end" means. Since the disease is always terminal he wants to be as in control as he can when his body looses control.

His "if it's worth it barometer" now consists of what he calls his 100 things. List the 100 things you like to do each day. You know, get out of bed, kiss your child, watch the birds etc. He says that when his list gets to where he can't do over 90 of them it might be time to "call it off" and let things happen so he can die peacefully.

What are your 100 things? My grandmother squeezed my hand while she was in a nursing home and with her 92 year old body failing her she said, "I need to go home." She saw the tears in my eyes and we both knew what she meant but I responded, "I know grandma but I hate to loose you." She then squeezed my hand harder and said, "Boy, I don't want to outlive myself."

She could no longer bake those cakes, rock babies, bring food to shut-ins, or sing "Amazing Grace" while swaying back and forth on hot delta Mississippi nights in that unaircondtioned church. Her 100 things list was down to sitting and watching herself become more and more helpless. It was time to go. She "went" but it was a year or so later.

All of us are somewhere between making fresh 100 things lists and squeezing someone's hand. There are many days I do not even pay attention to my list. I just live.

I think today I'll pay attention. Let's see, bike rides down the greenway, birds dancing in the wind, finishing the sermon for the week, sharing my thoughts with you...bye now...got 96 left to ponder.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment