Monday, July 13, 2009

The Music of the Spheres

It's early morning and I'm sitting at the computer having just finished a funeral meditation for a dear person whose memorial service will be later today. This person loved music. As I wrote, lightning and thunder pierced the darkness.

From somewhere deep within the caverns of my memory a childhood thought surfaced. I found myself humming. What was it I was humming? After some pondering I realized it was the tune that contained the words, "To my listening ears, all nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres."

"This is My Father's World," is the song. So as I composed the words to be said for this follower of the Way who loved music I too was serenaded by "the music of the spheres." It was a nice touch...as long a the lightning did not wipe out those words as they appeared on my screen. I mean the music of the spheres can be quite powerful. All our technology and ability to create images from words can be wiped out in a flash. So while I was grateful for the background music I was careful to save every few lines.

Ah, what an image. How many lines will I save today as I live life? What will happen on my screen as this day is composed? Will I notice that all around me today there will ring the music of the spheres? The music is always there. It is not always accompanied by flashes of light but it is always there.

So there are some words to closes this out that are better than what I can make up on this screen just now. They are the final words from that song of my childhood:
This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world; why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heaven's ring! God reigns; let the earth be glad
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment