Thursday, July 23, 2009

Old?

We had a "staff outing" yesterday. Church work is a lot of serious stuff so we all went bowling. It was fun...for a while. Then I felt this tightness in my back. Surely bowling, a thing I did a good deal of in my childhood, would not mess up my touchy back? Well, I made it through 6 frames and then my old back said, "Seymour, you're not a kid anymore."

Alas there was my staff bowling away and I became a spectator. Psalm 71: 18 says, "Now when I am old and grayheaded do not forsake me, O God until I declare your strength to this generation." Well so much for leadership by example. I've turned into a true "senior" pastor!

But hey it must have been the unique twists and turns of bowling. I can still play a mean game of tennis. Well, I don't get to all the shots I used to and it may take me longer to put on all the braces I wear than it takes to play the set but I'm out there hustling.

I still remember at one of my churches the local High School could not find a tennis coach so they asked me. "I've never taken a lesson," I told them, "how can I teach kids tennis? "Please," the voice on the other end of the line said, "We've asked 10 other people and no one wants to do it.." Then there was a pause and the voice said, "Can you drive a van?" "Well yes.."...Then the voice said, "You're our new coach."

So I may not be able to bowl but I can still run down most shots on the court and besides, "I'm a former tennis coach!" We had a perfect record.....O and 13...My contract was not renewed.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment