Friday, July 24, 2009

How Did I Get Here?

Often times on Sunday mornings I look around, see all the people, hear the wonderful music, look at and through the frozen stories in our stained glass windows and wonder how I got here. 37 years of memories sit with me.

There was one of "the Furr boys" who said after I had only been at my first small rural church for six weeks, "That new preacher won't last. He's too young, too short, and he's read too many books." Then there was Pilot Mountain where everyone knew my dog's name and I spent a good deal of time at the Surry Drug soda fountain because that is where the action really was.

Next came Abernethy Memorial in Newton where we had a massive barbecue pit in our backyard right next to the playground for the day care center. My job was to help turn the pork shoulders at 3:00 in the morning. I smelled like pig for a few days.

Then I got my "break" and was sent to my first large church with a staff. I had no idea what I was doing. I did a lot of listening and somehow figured it out. That's where I "learned to preach without notes" almost by accident one Sunday morning.

Eight years later I found myself in Gastonia where the church was the center of the community and I loved being part of helping make that community a better place. Sure there were true "characters" in Gastonia but they were real and they had stories.

Late one night I got "the call" from the bishop that said, "You are the only one I can think of that can follow James Howell. Go give those folks your heart." I bobbed and weaved a little bit because I was "comfortable" where I was but of course I "went where I was sent" as they say in Methodist circles.

There are not many churches like Davidson and remember I have served "all kinds" of places. Most Methodist ministers will never get to be pastor of a church like this. I sit there and marvel, "How did I get here?" I feel very privileged and honored. Perhaps I ought to send a post card to that dear soul at my first church and lovingly tell him that I'm glad he was wrong.
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment