Thursday, July 30, 2009

Let's Face It

Just when I sort of got used to "blogging" now I've stepped into the techno-web of "Facebook." No, I do not have a Facebook page "yet," but I simply responded to some folks who invited me to be "friends" and bam the invitation to be friends starting coming in from all over.

Our oldest daughter who is in transit from California even "Facebooked" and invited me to be her friend. How about that. After all these years that rascal wants to be my friend.

I remember those teenage years when I was not anywhere near her friend. You have to live long enough! It's nice when your kids grow up and you can talk to them as "adults"...sort of...She's been real "friendly" of late since her wedding is coming up in September. I probably should not have "said" that...It's the father of the bride syndrome...you know...stuff like, "The invitations cost what...and...Who needs a DJ let's just have a boom-box!" It's pointless of course. Write the checks and shut up ...and enjoy.

I'm pondering this Facebook thing. I hear it is another way to "keep up" or "communicate." Calling all your Facebook associations "friends" is an interesting nomenclature. "I get by with a little help from my friends...." Buffet has a refrain which says he needs "just a few friends..." Another sort of famous line says, "I no longer call you servants but friends....greater love has no person that to lay down his life for his friends..."

Friends....humm...Well we all need friends. I think this Facebook thing might have some value or maybe not. Friendship is a valuable thing and so is a "face." I remember as a kid repeating a benediction in youth group that had the line, "the Lord bless you and keep you...the Lord make his face to shine upon you"

Does God have a Facebook page? I suppose Jesus showing up was a kind of invitation to be God's friend. I have not responded yet to all those folks who suddenly invited me to be their "friends" on Facebook...even my daughter....but I'm thinking about it.

I suppose it is okay to have different forms of friends as long as we have "just a few real friends" who know more than our face. A real friend knows your story. Stories are sacred things. Stories need to be shared "face to face" so the one listening can not only hear the story but feel it. That is what that old benediction means. So I don't know if God has a Facebook page but I do know that my wish for you today, my friend...if you reading this..is "May the Lord's face shine upon you"....your story is known...
jody jseymour@davidsonumc.org

2 comments:

  1. Jody, you have such a wonderful way with words and I look forward to reading your blog every morning. I am little surprised that today's isn't posted yet as I am always amazed at the times that I see you writing them....2:30am! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us each day, they are very meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this whole facebook thing... I still prefer face to face or even phone conversations. And I don't totally understand facebook... I don't think I ever will. Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete